We have been learning about two helpful comprehension strategies this week. We have been practicing making predictions before reading a story by looking at the cover of a book, the title, and using the knowledge we already know about the subject matter. The story I chose to model this strategy was How I Became a Pirate by David Shannon. The students made predictions before reading the story. Once I began reading we stopped at a crucial point when Jeremy Jacob came face to face with a group of strange pirates. At this time the students used their crystal balls to predict the outcome and events in the rest of the story.
We were also working on putting the events of the story in sequential order starting with the beginning and working our way to the end. Today we found out just what happened to our main character, Jeremy Jacob. After finishing the story, the students illustrated and wrote about events from the story that happened first, next, then and last. Check out our work on this month's bulletin board outside our classroom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment